Here is an excerpt of an essay I wrote reflecting on the recent (11 June 2014) lecture I gave at the House of Lords in London (“Healthy polar bears, less than healthy science”). The Global Warming Policy Foundation (GWPF) has just published that 14 page essay in its entirety as its 10th such report but you can get a taste of it here.
My piece addressed the following issues that I talked about in the lecture or which came up afterwards during the question period and discussions later:
• On what do you base your assertion that polar bear populations are “healthy”?
• Are the media — or polar bear scientists — to blame for hyping the “polar bears are dying” meme?
• How significant was the recent dismissal of a petition to force Canada into listing polar bears as ‘threatened with extinction’?
• What do the recent actions of the Polar Bear Specialist Group say about their commitment to good science?
• Is my blog helping to “self-correct” the science on polar bears?